Friday 29 June 2012

Pattern Review

I mentioned on my facebook site Trims So Sweet (www.facebook.com/TrimsSoSweet) that I was making my next project a 5Berries pattern. So I thought I would do a review and share with everyone who would like to have a crack but is unsure of things like difficulty, sizing, processes, and hints and tips I use to make things easier for myself.

So the pattern I worked with is the Amelia Peasant Dress by 5berries and can be found at http://5berriessewingpatterns.com/product/a-amelia-copy-pattern/ if you would like to have a crack at it. You get sizes 18 months all the way to 12 years which is rare in most patterns as you usually don't get a wide variety of sizes. So thats a plus.

Amelia Girls Sewing Peasant Dress Pattern, Easy to make

Now to explain for those beginners out their that this pattern is purchased then emailed to you to be printed out and put together before you can use it. Having 25, yes 25! pages to the pattern pieces alone this one was one of the biggest I have tried so far. My tip if you have an iPad or can work near a computer is to print out just the pattern pieces and use electronic sources to read the pattern. Otherwise it can be quite a hit on your ink supply.

Once I had printed out the pices it took me an hour to put them together and tape up so they were secure. Each page is numbered on several sides to ensure you match it up with the right joining piece. I only had an issue with one area at the bottom of the back of the dress where it didn't seem to match up but was easily overcome using common sense. You also get a photo of how it all joins up for reference.

So construction of the dress is easy as. You essentially have four pieces, so you really can't go wrong. You get step by step photo guides for construction but I think it could have used a better written guide. Given this pattern is labelled beginner I think more details was needed like explaining that you can use an overlocker to finishes the edges or an alternative is to use a zig zag stitch along the raw edge of the material. Instead they have "finish them with overlock or zig zag".

Once the main component of the dress construction is complete and you have to put on the finishing touches to the wrists and neckline. I generally like to double fold to you don't see any stitching but I followed the instructions and it actually meant it was less time consuming and less fiddley and doesn't look too bad. I did leave out the top stitching as I was being lazy and I didn't think it was neccessary to get the desired look.

Ruffles. I hate ruffles! Well I like the look but hate the work to get them looking nice. First of all don't let the pattern pieces confuse you as you have to take notice of the sizing written on the piece and not the piece itself as you won't have enough. I used to hand thread and pull ruffles but I strongly suggest using the longest stright stitch on your machine and setting it at the longest length then pulling it until you get the desired ruffles.

The belt is optional and you don't actually have to make it for the dress to be finished. Or you could make multiple ones in different coordinating colours to get different looks. I went a bit longer in my measurements only by mistake but it did turn out lovely as it hangs the length of the dress now. Once I had it on my model/tester, Miss G, I didn't like the belt slipping down as I wanted it to sit higher than her waist. So I added two belt loops under the arms and in the same material as the dress to it can be worn without the belt too.

Overall opinion: Please remember this is my opinion and I have been sewing for 11years.

This is a great pattern and I am already planning the next dress to make. It leaves a lot of flexibility in being able to incorporate your own sewing techniques which is great. I did get this pattern on sale and think it is great value, just needs to be reworked so that the instructions and pattern pieces are a bit nicer to my printer. All in all am recommending this to anyone that wants to try out a full dress, plus it has options for a short sleeve. So great for summer or winter.



If you have any technique questions I am happy to answer, or would like to purchase a custom made dress in the Amelia Peasant Dress style, just contact me on trimssosweet@bigpond.com or at my facebook page www.facebook.com/TrimsSoSweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment